Sunday, July 21, 2013

Green Tea Chiffon Cake

Again, I did this cake just to see if the sides and top will be brown. I did a pandan cake once and the problem I had was I couldn't get a brown top and brown sides. 

Well, the cake did have a brown top but no brown sides. Not only that, it nearly burned! Needless to say, this cake was a failure. Firstly, the egg whites weren't properly mixed into the egg yolk batter. I didn't want to over mixed it so I only mixed them a few times after each additions. 

Secondly, the pan is too small. I had prepared some baking cups as I have anticipated that the batter will be too much for this 6" pan since the batter I did was for a 7" pan. As I was pouring in the batter, the pan seems to be able to accommodate all the batter. Since I thought the pan could accommodate, I might as well pour everything in. As a result, the pan only have about 1 inch room for raising. The cake rose so high that it cracked and nearly burned. I took out the cake around 25 mins when it was cooked. I believe if I continued to bake the cake for another 5 mins I'll get the brown sides. But I can't do that as the top was already starting to burn. I did think of doing a tentage but decided to take out the cake in the end.

As for the taste, there was only a slight tinge of matcha taste. I increased the amount of matcha powder but I didn't want to increase it further as I'm afraid that it will alter the cake proportion. The cake was sweet too. I shall use lesser sugar for the egg yolk batter.

The top cracked like crazy!

See the egg whites?

No comments: